The oil from the Blufi spring between science and legend


Italy, Sicily – Blufi, a town in the province of Palermo, is the site of the sanctuary of the Madonna dell’olio, which dates back to the Middle Ages. The church was then rebuilt in 1762, as we read in a manuscript of 1882, at the behest of the clergyman Don Francesco Ferrara. Most probably its name comes from a nearby spring dug into the rock of mineral oil, considered a valuable remedy for some skin diseases that has always attracted the attention of the scientific world.

But to be the owner is a legend that tells of a spring from which flowed an edible oil then exhausted due to excessive withdrawal and following this event, in the nineteenth century, there was a change of location, albeit a few meters away, where from that time began to flow a mineral oil to treat skin diseases.



Devi essere registrato per inviare un commento Entra o registrati