Vintage boats. Barbara launches in Viareggio 1923-2018


A ceremony open to all, you can access the yard and attend the descent of the ship into the sea

Saturday 19th May 2018, after more than three years of work at the Francesco Del Carlo Shipyard in Viareggio, Barbara can finally return to sail the seas and plan a series of participation in the most important meetings of vintage sails in the Mediterranean. On that day any enthusiast will be able to access the Del Carlo shipyard and attend the ceremony of the new launch.  This ‘two mast’ built in 1923 by the English shipyard Camper & Nicholsons, 19 metres long including the bowsprit, has undergone a series of operations involving the renovation of the wooden hull, deck, sailing equipment, interiors and plant engineering. Today Barbara can therefore return to sailing showing herself to the public of fans. The boat will be the guide of the Associazione Vele Storiche Viareggio (VSV), the association founded in 2005 with the aim of promoting the culture of classical sailing and organizing events related to traditional fishing, including the big gathering held in Viareggio every year in October.

THE STORY OF ‘BARBARA

Barbara is the number 318 project carried out by the Camper & Nicholsons shipyard in Gosport, England, in 1923. Built in teak plating and pitch pine on oak skeleton, it had among its former owners Harold Francis Edwards, a well-known English yachtsman and successful regatta winner, Baron Amaury de la Grange, who since 1928 has served as her base at Cannes, and Count Robert-Jean de Vogue, General Manager of Moët & Chandon and creator of the Dom Pérignon brand, owner of the boat until the 1960s. In 1982 Barbara was used as a hull for the Atlantic windsurfing crossing in 24 days. In 1998 the philological restoration in Spain was started by Astilleros Mediterraneo and later transferred to Viareggio and entrusted to the care of the Francesco Del Carlo shipyard.

 



Devi essere registrato per inviare un commento Entra o registrati